There are three separate accreditations for journalists working in Germany. They are not interchangeable and each requires an individual, annual application.

  • The accreditation issued by the BPA (Bundespresseamt - federal government press office) registers a journalist with the federal government and provides access to government press events (including the Chancellery).
  • The Bundestag accreditation provides access to press events and debates in the Bundestag.
  • The official journalist 'press pass' is issued by the media trade union DJV (Deutsche Journalisten Verband), the trade union Verdi and others. A limited number of DJV are provided each year by the BPA.


Press- and Information Office of the Federal Government

Information for foreign correspondents

The Liaison Office of the Press and Information Office of the Federal Government (BPA) currently serves foreign correspondents from 50 countries, all reporting on the Federal Republic of Germany using many and diverse media channels.

The Liaison Office provides key information and assistance in order to support you in your work in Germany, particularly with regard to employment or residence laws for foreign citizens. You can apply for your residence permit or Freedom of Movement Certificate through the Liaison Office.

The BPA’s Liaison Office provides foreign journalists with information on working methods employed by the Federal Government and other institutions. Introductory days for new foreign correspondents and events relating to topical issues from various areas of politics are held on a regular basis.

Annual accreditation,

Foreign correspondents accredited by the Liaison Office can apply for annual accreditation with the BPA. This applies to state visits, official visits, international conferences as well as appointments held by the Federal Chancellor and Federal President. In the case of appointments where accreditation is required, holders of annual accreditation also need to register. Press releases on this subject can be found at

Press Passes

The Liaison Office does not issue press passes. Journalists can, however, apply for press passes from the German journalists association Deutscher Journalisten-Verband e.V. through the Liaison Office.

Contact Liaison Office

Verbindungsbüro (Vbb) Berlin, Raum A 0.060
Presse- und Informationsamt der Bundesregierung
Verbindungsbüro für ausländische Korrespondenten
Dorotheenstraße 84, 10117 Berlin
Telefon: (030) 18 272 - 1660/ -1661/ -1662
Fax: (030) 18 272 - 1667

Verbindungsbüro (Vbb) Bonn, Raum 1205
Presse- und Informationsamt der Bundesregierung
Verbindungsbüro für ausländische Korrespondenten
Welckerstraße 11, 53113 Bonn
Telefon: (0228 99) 272 - 4163
Fax: (0228 99) 272 – 4158

Contact Accreditation Office

Akkreditierungsbüro Berlin
Presse- und Besucherzentrum
Reichstagufer 14
10117 Berlin
Telefon: (030) 18 272 - 1601/ -1602
Fax: (030) 18 272 - 1666

Akkreditierungsbüro Bonn, Raum 1205
Presse- und Informationsamt der Bundesregierung
Welckerstraße 11, 53113 Bonn
Telefon: (0228 99) 272 - 4163
Fax: (0228 99) 272 - 4158



Wilhelmstr. 64, room E 13, 10117 Berlin
Heidrun Vogel, Tel: 22732924/Email:
Corinna Weber, Tel: 22732929/Email:
Opening hours: Mon: 8am-1pm/2-4pm; Tue-Thu: 8am-1pm/2-5pm; Fri: 8am-1pm

Valid for access to all Bundestag buildings, including the Reichstag parliament building, the parliamentary committee buildings, the offices and library.
NOTE: The BPA ID is not valid in any Bundestag buildings.

Foreign correspondents can apply for a daily ID with their press ID (DJV/Verdi). For a year-long ID, fax the office a letter from the medium‘s editorial office abroad. More information available at in the section 'Presse'. It can take a number of days for the Bundestag ID to be issued, so allow some time between submitting the application and collection. Again, the ID must be collected in person and on presentation of national ID/passport. This office also issues filming permission.

Sources of information

Internet page of the federal government (CvD)

Offers subscription to various services including appointments, accreditation notifications, press reviews). The official government spokesperson (Chef vom Dienst) is available day and night. Tel: 01888 2722040
>>> Subscription

Internet pages of the main newspapers and magazines

Agency and other reports

Audio Clips


  • The Bundespresseamt has a press archive for correspondents. Articles can be sent by post or fax. Most useful for hard news topics (politics, business) than 'soft' topics like cultural matters. Tel: 018882722443.
  • Federal Government Digital Photo Archive: over 60,000 photos available for market rate fee. Some photos are available at no charge. The full archive is available (after registration) at Tel: 030 182722330/Email:
  • Bundestag library: open to all journalists with a Bundestag ID. Housed in the Paul Löbe Haus, opposite the Reichstag building, the library has around 1.3 million books in its collection. The online catalogue is available from
  • Other useful libraries in Berlin:
    the Staatsbibliothek (Potsdamer Platz und Unter den Linden)
    Amerika Gedenkbibliothek and Zentrallandesbibliothek


Federal Ministries



  • Many German television stations available as a free online stream from

German journalistic standards

Drawn from the rules of the Bundespressekonferenz, the following quotation rules are common at press conferences and other press appointments:

  • 'unter 1': all information and quotes are for publication under the name of the person giving the information.
  • 'unter 2': information only for use without direct naming of source.
  • 'unter 3': confidential information, not for publication.

Another practice, controversial among journalists, is the 'authorisation' (Autorisierung) of interviews by the interview partner. Established over decades as standard practice among German journalists, interview partners may expect the opportunity to read through their quotes before publication. The German journalist union DJV distanced itself from the practice in 2003 but the tradition lives on.

Formalities on arrival in Germany

  • Registration of address: a few days after moving to a new home, the address must be registered with the 'Anmelderwohneamt' in the correspondening neighbourhood. Passport and lease are necessary.
  • Work permit: journalists from non-EU countries generally need a work permit (see Verbindungsbüro of the government press and information office above).